Pea and Paneer Pakoras
1 x Saffron Tree TOGETHER Pakora Blend
100ml cold water or enough to make a thick batter
25g plain flour
130g garden peas, defrosted
½ onion, finely chopped
250g paneer, diced into randomly shaped small cubes
Good handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Good pinch of quality salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable or sunflower oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, put the pakora blend and enough water to make a smooth, stiff batter. Whisk with passion.
- In a separate bowl, put the plain flour, garden peas, onion, paneer, fresh coriander, salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients have an even coating of flour.
- Add the flour-dusted ingredients to the pakora batter and mix gently until evenly coated. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- In that time, preheat the oil to 170°C. Use a thermometer if you are not using a deep fat fryer. Do not leave the pan unattended.
- After 20 minutes, using an oiled dessertspoon, drop the pakoras into the hot oil and fry for 5 minutes. Use the timer on your phone.
- Serve with lime wedges and a cold glass of hoppy IPA beer.
For a vegan option, replace the paneer with smoked tofu. This is really good alternative and it is very tasty.
Oil your dessertspoon before using it to drop the batter into the fryer. It will help the mixture to slide effortlessly into the oil.
For best results, invest in a deep fat fryer.
Never leave a pan of oil unattended.
If you don’t have a deep fat fryer, use a pan of oil and a thermometer.
Don’t overcrowd the pan – trying to cook lots at once will reduce the temperature of the oil and the results will be disappointing.