Goan Fish Curry
250gms fish (any firm white fish – cod/monkfish/halibut)
1 large onion – roughly chopped
2-3 whole dry red chillies
2-inch fresh ginger
2 garlic pods – peeled
½ tsp. cumin seeds
½ tbsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp. tamarind paste
2 tbsp. thick coconut cream
Salt to taste (approx.1tsp)
200 ml water
3 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- Place a shallow pan on medium heat.
- Add a tbsp. oil, onions, dry chilies, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and black peppercorns.
- Fry for a few mins until the onions turn medium brown.
- Transfer to a blender and add a few tbsp water. Blend to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the blended mixture, tamarind paste, coconut cream, salt, and the water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15mins until the oil rises to the surface.
- Add the fish. Cover and simmer 5 mins.
- Add the chopped coriander and simmer uncovered for a further 2 mins.