Chowgra - The 6 Vegetable Medley
100gm green beans, chopped
100gm peas (frozen will do)
100gm carrots, diced
100gm potato, diced
50gm cauliflower florets
50gm green peppers (diced)
200gm onions, finely chopped
3 green cardamoms
2 dry bay leaves
2 inch piece of cinnamon
½ tsp cumin seeds
1tbsp. ginger garlic paste
¼ tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. chilli powder
½ tsp. ground garam masala. (link to garam masala)
2 tbsp. tomato purée
1 tomato, finely chopped
3 tbsp. thick creamed coconut
1 tbsp. fresh coriander, chopped
100ml warm water
salt to taste (approx. 1 tsp)
3 tbsp. oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- On low-medium heat add the whole spices (cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin seeds) Sauté for a few mins until fragrant.
- Add chopped onions, fry until light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste, sauté for a few mins until cooked.
- Add turmeric and sauté for a min.
- Add tomato purée and chopped tomato, mix well.
- Cover and cook on for 5 mins low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chili powder, salt, and vegetables.
- Sauté on medium heat until the vegetables are well coated with the spiced mixture.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for about 12-15 mins until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the creamed coconut and garam masala (link to garam masala recipe)
- Mix well and simmer for a couple of mins.
- Add chopped coriander, stir lightly.